A selection of articles, newsletters, presentations, and other valuable resources.
1) Design the most effective and efficient health care structure for Saskatchewan that supports improved patient care.
Enable a provincial approach to health services that ensures patients receive high quality and timely care wherever they live in Saskatchewan and restructure the health system to promote safety, health and wellness for patients and employees, and create accessible, effective, streamlined and sustainable provincial health services.
2) Emergency Waits and Patient Flow. In partnership with patients and families, improve the individual’s experience, achieve timely access and continuously improve health care safety.
- Shift the delivery of care from institutions to the community and improve patient flow in the hospital by moving patients who can be managed in the community out of the hospital and emergency departments.
- Accountable Community-based Care: Establish Primary Health Care Networks in Regina and Saskatoon where services are designed to meet the unique needs of the community, resulting in improved health outcomes and better patient / family experience.
- High Quality Care Transitions: Prototype standardized approaches to discharge and transition planning that link hospital-based care and community-based care to ensure seamless patient care, reduce length of stay in hospital and decrease the likelihood of readmissions to hospital.
3) Seniors. Seniors in Saskatchewan will have access to appropriate and coordinated community-based services to support individuals to remain at home, allowing them to progress into other care options as needs change.
- Fully integrate community-based initiatives for seniors
- Expand integrated community-based service model for seniors to one additional location (e.g. Prince Albert)
4) Mental Health and Addictions
- Residents of Saskatchewan will have access to appropriate and coordinated mental health and addictions services that promote recovery to the greatest extent possible.
- Increase access to effective mental health treatment for anxiety and depression through an innovative partnership with the University of Regina’s Online Therapy Unit.
- Improve mental health well-being and ultimately enhance the overall health and vibrancy of our communities and our province.
- Implement a stepped care framework to ensure mental health and addictions services are based on assessed needs. This will be supported by the implementation of a standardized tool to assess needs, Level of Care Utilization System and provincial electronic client record.
5) Primary Health Care. People living with chronic conditions will experience better health.
- Continue to expand access to care through remote presence technology in the north. Support implementation of initiatives that enhance mental health promotion and food security.
- Support accountable community-based care planning with a focus on primary health care networks and high quality care transitions between the community and acute care system
Research Priority A: Enhanced patient experiences and outcomes through health innovation
- This research priority focuses on accelerating the discovery, development, evaluation and integration of health innovations into practice so that patients receive the right treatment at the right times.
Research Priority B: Health and wellness for indigenous peoples
- This research priority focuses on supporting the health and wellness goals of indigenous peoples through shared research leadership and the establishment of culturally sensitive policies and interventions.
Research Priority C: A healthier future through preventative action
- This research priority focuses on a proactive approach to understanding and addressing the causes of ill health and on supporting physical and mental wellness at the individual, population and system levels.
Research Priority D: Improved quality of like for individuals living with chronic conditions
- This research priority focuses on understanding multiple, co-existing chronic conditions and on supporting integrated solutions that enable Canadians to continue to participate actively in society.